A Journey to Taal (My 31st)

2nd of May year 2016, around 6AM,  I packed my bag and together with my daughter we decided to visit Taal Volcano- the second most active volcano in the Philippines through which had shown signs of unrest last 1991 and last volcanic eruption was documented last 1977. At first, I just would like to explore something new on my birthday but the Lord has revealed a lot more to me on this day more than I could ever imagine. Here are my take ways on this trip:

1. The higher you wanna go in life, it is Life's requirement for you to go through the lowest point and take the roughest and rockiest road before you reach the top.


I planned the said trip 3-4 days before and knew all along that we were supposed to do trekking up to the crater of Taal, Just that.. I didn't know it was a 4KM trekking (total of 8KM back and forth) until we are right in the middle of it. I tried walking my way up the track but the heat (from the direct sunlight and Sulfur emitted from the actual Volcano),  made it much more difficult to hike. We hired additional horses in the middle  of 1 km walk but then the road was too steep for the horses makes me wanna go down and walk again instead.

The Road to taal is really difficult. At first first I have nothing but my back pack, drinking water, DSLR and tons of confidence and excitement as I get to see one of the most Majestic Creation of God. But along the way, I lost all of them one by one. The food and the water were shared by me, gabby and my tito including our tour guide and the people who manages our horses. The excitement turned into triumph, and confidence turned into disappointments as I doubt myself if I can make it to the top. I totally forgot to take pictures on our way up because I was too focused on my own hardships. I had nothing in my heart but the word struggle - in all aspects of the word.

As they say, the sweetness of success lies not on the actual peak  of the said achievement but rather flourishes on the actual adversities we faced along the way  Amidst the triumph we've been through on our way up the crater,  Taal's beauty made all the hardships go away in just a snap! It's majestic view is describable beyond words, and it's Elegance beyond measure! 

In Life, we have to undergo a lot of triumphs in order to get to the destination God intended for our lives. Without the scars of these triumphs, the journey is meaningless. The key is to get rid of the excess baggages which are good but was not God's best in our lives. That way, the journey could have been lighter, much easier for us to climb up our destination. Our bags are full of necessary things such as food, water and clothes.. but the other things were not really a necessity, we could have left our bags in the island prior to the boat transfer that way our climb could have been much easier. 



2. In our life searches for something beautiful, One day you'd end up looking back at yourself in a mirror saying, "Now this is beautiful!" and give thanks to the Lord for giving so much blessings in your life, to you and through you. 

Taal is a small town in Batangas that is isolated to the city because the actual town is surrounded by lake that is only reachable through a 30- min boat ride. There are settlers at the bottom of the volcano as it didn't really show signs of eruption for the past couple of years- only signs of unrest through volcanic mists along side the volcano. During our hike, we ran out of  drinking water as we share the water we bought ourselves to our guides. There are settlers selling water, face masks, hats even "siniguelas" one of the fruits grown locally. The settlers who sold these kinds of stuffs varies from Men and Women of all ages from the eldest (around 50) to the youngest kids (around 7) as long as they are able walk and  to climb up the volcano themselves. We ended up buying water for our guides and ourselves too as the heat was too unbearable. 1 bottle of water (12 ml) costs Php50 each, made me wonder why too expensive? where we can get it free in some of the restaurants in Manila? Made me think that maybe that's the normal rate as the place was a tourist spot where Koreans are their normal visitors.

On our way down, the answer to my questions were revealed after speaking with "Ate", one of the locals in Taal and she confirmed that the town does not have enough supply of drinking water and electricity and they live with it since time immemorial. The food and water delivery comes from another island, which is a boat distance away from they are located. One boat ride costs Php 2,000 pesos just so you know.

The locals, has something tangible right in front of them, while the tourists spends a lot just to experience what the locals have all along. That's the Irony of life...
After the said hike, I learned to love water  (more) and every single drop of it! I appreciated the movies I watch at home as I realized that the locals does not have an electricity to even watch TV and I appreciate the comfort of my own home where I can feel safe without any fear of volcanic eruption or any natural disasters for that matter. Lastly, I appreciated the comfort of my own bed as I lay down to sleep at night and give thanks to the Lord for all the blessings coming my way .

All of the things that I have today, as simple or as basic at at it may seem... they are all beautiful as God gave it all to me! He knew exactly what I needed and knew when the time is right for me to have it. He searches my heart and He knew that my heart is now ready to embrace the other meaning of a Beautiful Life. 


Thank you Lord for this trip! Thank you Lord for giving me another year to live with! 


 the cross at Taal- God kept on reminding me to give thanks at all times!
Taal's Crater- God's wonder is truly amazing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am. THOMASIAN.

Hope For Haiti now

A Classic Love story